Saturday, 8 February 2014

Week 5: Assignment 1 and More Recursion!

During the past week, I've learnt a great deal on programming recursion!  I found it quite fluid and intuitive and I think I have math to thank for that.  The labs especially I felt were constructive, but not difficult and that the examples we went through during those two hours really solidified my understanding.  As usual, the posted course materials provided excellent examples that were also very useful.  If you want to see a nice explanation of a great example of recursion, check out this slog post: http://siyangcsc148w3.blogspot.ca/2014/01/some-thoughts-on-recursion.html!

The rest of my focus this week, has been mainly directed towards assignment 1 and all it's glory.  I remember in the fifth grade, I had a computer game and one of the mini-games within that game was exactly the Towers of Hanoi but with large wooden crates instead of cheeses.  I've also have a friend who had been to a math colloquium regarding the open problem of the optimization of the fourth peg, and who discussed the presentation with me.  I found it was a lot of fun to think about this familiar topic.  I am near completion for this assignment and I think I'm making good progress.

I would like to mention a few of my difficulties with this assignment.  The first being that at the beginning, the instructions felt quite random.  Upon seeing the TOAHModel.py file presented, I was confused as to what I had to write and what was written for me.  It felt like the instructions were presented in a jumble that I had to slowly sort through and that the corrections appearing via email and piazza were difficult to keep track of.  After many errors and much rereading and rewriting, I now have a working TOAHModel.py file as well as a well working ConsoleController.py file.  I'm quite pleased with my progress this week and I look forward to completing this assignment.  All this being said, I am now desperately craving a nice Gruyère.

No comments:

Post a Comment