At first during the exercise, I learned that I had no idea how to write exceptions. This caused a flurry of rereading and looking through class materials, as well as a brief scan of other student's questions posted to piazza until I understood that the word I was looking was "raise". Then my program was fine, except that I misread the instructions and programmed the error to catch odd numbers instead of even numbers. Luckily the automated report system can catch whenever I make such an error; I really can appreciate how helpful it is. Other than that, the only thing I had to take time to get used to is the new formatting for the code. We had a specific way of writing the docstring in CSC108 that I had to adjust slightly for CSC148. But I do think I am now familiar with it and have made a successful transition.
During the lab this week, we switched partners and I got to work with a new student. Things went quite well, and I learned a great deal about unittest and inheritance, especially the syntax (!!!) that is required when writing code involving inheritance. All in all things went well with the lab. I think that the exercises and labs are excellent teaching tools because I have learned the most through those experiences, since I actually have to think and immerse myself in the language of python when I am actually writing program. That, at least for me, has been a very effective way to learn. Now, I'm just looking forward to the somewhat daunting task of completing the assignment, and with that I am signing off for this week.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSyntax is important. Programming hygiene is more important.
ReplyDeleteI concur wholeheartedly. :)
Delete